Community

The CEDAR Summer Camp Program

The CEDAR Summer Camp Program

Submitted by Mette Bach The CEDAR Summer Camp is an initiative that involves at least fifty volunteers from various departments at UBC. The program welcomes forty Aboriginal youth from the Lower Mainland each year to take part in fun experiments, workshops, and hands-on learning. CEDAR, which stands for Cross-cultural Education through Demonstration, Activity and Recreation, […]

Stories from the Humanities 101 Programme

Stories from the Humanities 101 Programme

By Dr. Margot Leigh Butler, Academic Director “To me, writing has become a way of coping with life. Ten years ago I was living in the streets of the Downtown Eastside, a chronic alcoholic, a drug addict. I started to attend a life skills class at the Pride Centre. There I analyzed why I was […]

Making a Difference on the Downtown Eastside

Making a Difference on the Downtown Eastside

The Humanities 101 Community Programme (Hum101) offers free non-credit university-level courses at UBC for people living on the Downtown Eastside (DTES) and nearby areas who are passionate about learning and knowledge, and who are living on very low incomes. Students receive bus tickets to get to and from UBC for each class, vouchers for meals […]

Native Youth Programs

Native Youth Programs

When the Museum of Anthropologyʼs Native Youth Program (NYP) was introduced in 1979, it was the first such initiative to offer Native youth the opportunity to research…

A Plan to Expand UBC’s Pharmaceutical Services

A Plan to Expand UBC’s Pharmaceutical Services

Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences Judith Soon and fellow researchers in UBC’s Collaboration for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (CORE) group have a plan to change this by establishing a patient-centred pharmacy clinic.

Working for the Future of Aboriginal Children: Human Early Learning Partnership (HELP)

Working for the Future of Aboriginal Children: Human Early Learning Partnership (HELP)

Greetings! I am Michele A. Sam, member of the Ktunaxa Nation and the mother of two children. I am the eldest of eight children, all of whom experienced the 60’s scoop. As a result of the many social, cultural, professional, and personal roles I live, I am deeply aware that the well being of children […]

Math Teaching and First Nations Culture

Math Teaching and First Nations Culture

In Haida Gwaii, off British Columbia’s remote northwest coast, teachers are exploring connections between oral stories and mathematical problem solving.

First Nations Entrepreneurs

First Nations Entrepreneurs

For aspiring entrepreneur Vivian Bomberry, the irony of the term cohort — used in education circles to define a group of students in the same class year — wasn’t lost when she began her studies in the Ch’nook Advanced Management Program at UBC last November.